A LITTLE HISTORY TOUR IN LA SQALA
Drinking a cup of mint tea at “Café Maure” is an absolute must when in Casablanca, installed in the fortress of La Sqala, to understand and absorb the history of “Dar el Beida” – the White House in Arabic and “casa blanca” in Spanish.
It was the Sultan Sidi Mohammed Ben Abdallah who took back Mazagnan from the Portuguese in 1769 to install the foundations of the White City.
It takes its name from a tall whitewashed building and is identifiable by its vessels. La Sqala, a fortress with four kilometer long walls, was its bastion facing the sea.
Then it was urbanized to enclose and protect the medina.
Today families come to enjoy traditional dishes in the shade of palm trees with the sound of splashing fountains in the background.
Boulevard des Almohades